Monday, March 31, 2014

Pondering The Life Span

Should scientist try to help people beat old age so we can live radically longer lives? Why?
I do not think that scientist should try to help people beat old age.  Why I think this is because we have gone an extremely long time living life normally, letting older aged people die on their own when their body is ready, without any problems.  So why would we start changing that now?  That could cause major complications and health increases financially, like Mr. Callahan said.  I feel like we shouldn't have scientist attempt to make the life time longer because what is someone body isn't prepared to live longer and they're ready to go? Then what?  I just feel like it's a terriable idea. 

What would be the benefits of a scientific breakthrough that allowed people to live radically longer lives? 
The only benefit I could think of based on this so called "scientific breakthrough" would be allowing older men and women to live longer to see their families.  I'm not sure if this breakthrough would give you an exact year of when you would die but as for me I feel that I wouldn't want to know.  But then again, if you do have children, grand children, great grandchildren, etc. this breakthrough could give you the opportunity to know exactly how long you have with your family or just in general an comforting feeling knowing that you have time with them that in previous years, like now, you wouldn't have had.  Thats the only benefit I can think of. 

How long would you want to live, if you could choose your life span?
If I could choose how long I wanted to live I would probably say around 97 because my Nana Mann lived to be 97 and that seemed to be a long enough life for me.  She lived a "long life" like Mr. Callahan said and I would like to live to be that age and do everything she had done in her life.  

1 comment:

  1. You made some great points, Kev. Would your opinion change on the way older people were treated if you were thinking about your own grandmother? Would you take extreme measures to keep her around longer?

    ReplyDelete